Open Call for tD Writers!
by Lynn Matluck Brooks
We are looking for NEW thINKingDANCE WRITERS and encourage the following people to consider joining us:
· those who want to develop their writing skills and are interested in the practice of constructive critique
· experienced writers, critics, editors, and educators with an interest in performance, particularly dance
. individuals new to writing who connect strongly to dance (artists, audience members, presenters)
· people new to dance who connect strongly to writing (poets, journalists, scholars, students)
· anyone interested in experimenting with new journalistic forms
· advocates committed to covering diverse styles and genres of dance
What do we expect of thINKingDANCE WRITERS?
· writers will commit to at least two years of working with thINKingDANCE;
. writers attend at least 8 out of 12 monthly thINKingDANCE meetings; meetings are typically held once a month, in Center City Philadelphia, on a weekday, 7-9 pm
· writers are asked to attend several (two to four) workshops/retreats per year (typically on a weekend day)
· writers are expected to contribute 6-10 articles per year, featuring a variety of formats: reviews, interviews, news, think pieces
. writers become involved in supporting thINKingDANCE through editing, committee involvement, management, fundraising, or other roles
How do thINKingDANCE WRITERS benefit from being involved?
· access to free workshops by leading dance writers and scholars
· mentorship and editing by experienced dance writers
. publication of your work on the tD website (read worldwide)
. distribution of your written work through social media
. building of a body of published work in the form of reviews, interviews, news, “think-pieces,” and other formats
· stimulating networking opportunities with the other tD writers
· honorarium for published writing and editing
· a wonderful outlet for creative thINKing
· privileged access to a range of performances in Philadelphia and elsewhere
How to apply?
Please send by email:
· a letter of interest indicating any relevant experience and motivation for participating (1 page maximum)
· a short writing sample—we welcome dance-related writing, but other material is also acceptable (1000 words maximum)
Send to Lynn Brooks (tD editor-in-chief): firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for application materials: July 31, 2019
Criteria for Selection:
· potential for committed engagement and willingness to make full use of this professional development opportunity
· diversity that represents the broad dance constituency in Philadelphia
· a writing sample, of 300 to 1000 words, that demonstrates some of the following: creative expression, English language fluency, curiosity, a distinctive voice, and provocative ideas
thINKingDANCE is a consortium of dance artists and writers who work together to comment widely on the myriad forms dance can take. Based in Philadelphia, thINKingDANCE works to increase visibility for local dance, encourage new forms of dance writing, broaden the scope of our coverage, and increase audience receptivity to dance. We do this through live events as well as online at www.thinkingdance.net. Our leadership (general manager, managing editor, editor-in-chief, chair of board, and committee chairs) are drawn from within the organization. All members are encouraged to participate in thINKingDANCE committees and programs where they have interest and expertise.
thINKingDANCE has been supported by the The Pew Center for Arts & Heritage, Philadelphia Cultural Fund, and Pennsylvania Council of the Arts. Partners have included Artblog, DanceUP, FringeArts, the LAB (Live Arts Brewery), Mighty Writers, the Performance Garage, Philadelphia Dance Projects, and Theatre Philadelphia.
By Lynn Matluck Brooks
June 4, 2019